2024 Internship Opportunities
AgTech Research Intern
Interested in cutting edge technology to sustainably feed a growing population? Join the IALR and Virginia Tech Team in the newly created Controlled Environment Agriculture Innovation Center for a summer research internship.
- Participating in next generation indoor agriculture experiments in vertical racks and other hydroponic growing systems
- Data collection and analysis
- Maintaining systems
- Experimental design
Interested in microbiology and molecular biology? Join a team of IALR scientists to explore the mechanisms and underlying genetic drivers that allow bacteria that live inside plants to promote plant growth and health. Potential research topics include:
- Genomic sequence data analysis including assembly and annotation
- Performing assays
- Other related lab activities
Coding and Robotics Intern
Interested in engineering and computer science? The coding and robotics internship opportunity is focused on further developing IALR’s Smart table robotic plant imaging system.
- Coding in python
- Data analytics
- Part design and fabrication, including 3D printing
- Performing experiments
The engineering design principle will be highlighted throughout the internship experience.
The Communications intern will assist with promotional activities and endeavors to underscore the milestones and achievements supporting IALR’s mission of economic transformation. Communications of technical and scientific information will be expected.
- Reporting on activities and events at IALR involving STEM, camps, research projects, and other areas that cross scientific, technical and STEM fields
- Assisting with photography and videography of summer STEM-related events
- Supporting graphic design projects
- Helping produce social media editorial content
- Supporting facility tours—specializing in knowledge of STEM- related activities and labs
- Assisting with technical writing
- Providing research on technical journals and publications for IALR
- Completing other projects as assigned
Join our EmPOWER team as a Summer Intern and play a crucial role in advancing our work-based learning efforts. This dynamic position involves supporting summer EmPOWER programming, including internships, teacher externships, and sector-focused camps. The intern will conduct best-practice research, administer regional work-based learning surveys, and actively participate in collaborative meetings to contribute towards the creation of a comprehensive regional work-based learning inventory. This is an exciting opportunity to make a meaningful impact on connecting students to careers and fostering a vibrant regional work-based learning ecosystem.
Facilities Maintenance Intern
The IALR’s growing campus includes five existing buildings totaling 220,000 square feet, with an additional 100,000 sq. ft. facility under construction.
The Facilities Maintenance Intern will support several projects including:
- Updating, categorizing, and prioritizing the facilities safety checklist system on Microsoft Teams
- Updating an inventory list of parts and supplies
- Developing and updating IALR’s campus safety signage to meet current codes and regulations
- Helping to perform daily operations and assisting with Helpdesk tickets
Join our team as a summer intern for the GO TEC (Great Opportunities in Technology & Engineering Careers) program. As an integral team member, you will contribute to curriculum development and academic pathway mapping within strategic GO TEC focus sectors. Your role will involve analyzing student survey data to provide valuable insights, enabling informed program development recommendations. Additionally, you’ll have the opportunity to support educator training sessions, summer camps, and occasional field trips. This internship provides an opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the future of technology and engineering education across Virginia!
Human Resources Intern
The Human Resources intern will:
- Assist with IALR’s record retention practices and filing
- Screen resumes and applications to identify potential hiring candidates
- Schedule interviews and respond to applicant inquiries
- Develop social media content in partnership with IALR’s Communications Team to advertise IALR positions
- Develop an Employee Testimonial campaign that will be shared on IALR’s media platforms
- Assist in organizing company events and planning employee engagement events
- Respond to the HR team, employee benefits, and other Human Resources related matters
Information Technology Intern
The IT Intern will support several projects including:
- Working with Operations Staff in the assistance of conference center events
- Working with Infrastructure staff on conversions projects and server room changes
- Updating and imaging computer labs
- Audio/Video network testing and documentation
Individuals should have an interest in IT hardware and software applications, along with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Marketing and Program Development Intern
AmeriCorps & Lifelong Learning:
Our Advanced Learning team is seeking a Marketing and Program Development Intern. In this dynamic role, you will support our efforts in promoting AmeriCorps service-learning opportunities and enhancing our lifelong learning workshops. Collaborate with our passionate team to create engaging marketing materials, assist in recruitment initiatives, and contribute to the development of innovative programs that make a lasting impact. This internship provides a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in marketing and program management while making a difference in community development.
SVRA Research and Data Analysis Intern
Southern Virginia Regional Alliance (SVRA) is housed at IALR and works with the City of Danville and the counties of Halifax, Patrick and Pittsylvania to create a strong economy that benefits the citizens of Southern VA by promoting the region through marketing and public relations efforts. The SVRA intern will conduct research and analysis for the region and aid in communications of the information through social media and other methods. As an integral part of the economic development team, the intern would need experience with collecting and disseminating data, utilizing Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office and social media. The intern should enjoy collecting and analyzing data. The intern needs to be sensitive to the use of confidential information. Specific tasks could entail:
- Assisting with research on demographics, industry sectors and locality profiles
- Maintaining a database of information for review and analysis
- Cataloging news articles, including clipping, organizing and scanning into the computer distribution system
- Collecting new feeds and search information
- Researching regional, local and industry issues
- Helping to maintain regional profiles of demographics and econometric information
- Assisting with meetings and events
- Completing other projects as assigned
IALR also assists and supports organizations across Southern Virginia with the development of internship programs
IALR reserves the right to modify and/or cancel the internship program. Modifications could include a shortened timeframe with a pro-rated adjustment to the paid compensation, alternate assignments, and/or adjustments to work-site location. Internships are primarily in-person. The IALR Internship Program does not provide local housing or a housing allowance.