The Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) is pleased to announce and accept applications for the 2019 Summer Internship Program. The program will place nine interns in meaningful, on-the-job training experiences at IALR in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and data analysis/research.
“To effectively prepare our future talent and meet the needs of area employers, we are excited to once again offer students and graduates this real-world leadership development opportunity in the form of an IALR summer internship,” said Dr. Julie Brown, IALR’s Director of Advanced Learning. “Thanks to the support of the IALR Foundation, we are able to cultivate a high-quality talent pipeline across multiple STEM disciplines vital to the economic transformation of our region.”
To be considered for the eight-week, paid project, candidates must be one of the following: (1) a high school graduate with plans to attend college in the fall of 2019, (2) an undergraduate or graduate level college student or (3) a recent college graduate who completed a college degree within the last 12 months. For the most part, the project will be completed June-July 2019.
Available internship opportunities include:
- Biotechnology to Develop Natural Plant Biostimulants with Dr. Chuansheng Mei
- Biotechnology to Develop Natural Plant Pesticides with Dr. Chuansheng Mei
- Precision Agriculture with Samantha Smith-Herndon
- Agricultural Technology Internship – SMART Table with Daniel Caccavelli (two positions)
- Research and Data Analysis for the Southern Virginia Region with Linda Green
- Marketing and Communications with Allison Moore
- Talent Development and Career Pathways in Manufacturing and Engineering with Dr. Julie Brown (two positions)
Interns will receive a stipend of $2,750 paid in two equal installments ($1,375) after four weeks of demonstrated success. The anticipated weekly time commitment is 28 hours, and the IALR mentor will set the work schedule during the intern orientation.
Applications are due by 4 p.m. (EST), March 15, 2019. The internship application, other information and detailed project descriptions are available at www.ialr.org/internships. For more information, please contact Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434.766.6711, or Betty Wilcher, IALR’s Human Resources Manager, at email@example.com or 434.766.6747.